6 cups of cooked brown rice- cooled and rested in the fridge (I make this at least a few hours before)
200g bacon, diced
6 eggs, whisked
1 bunch broccolini, finely chopped
2 medium carrots, finely chopped
½ cup frozen beans
1 cup frozen peas and corn
cumin to taste
gluten free soy sauce to taste
oil (splash for the pan)
1. In a hot pan add the whisked eggs and cook until firm. Remove from pan for later. (when cooled slice into bite sized pieces. (I have a non-stick pan so I will cook eggs without oil, you may like to use a splash of oil to cook your eggs).
2. Add oil (I used sesame) to the pan with onion, cook onions until soft. Add bacon, cook until bacon is slightly brown. Add carrot and broccolini and cook for a few minutes. Add in cumin (I gave it a few decent shakes, I’d say ¼ – ½ a teaspoon, but cumin can be a personal taste thing).
3. Add rice and frozen vegetables. Add the soy sauce (again this can be a personal taste thing). I tend to add a little at a time, stirring it through, until the rice turns a lovely golden-brown colour. Once you think you’re almost there do a little taste test- you can always add more you can take it out.
4. Cook for about 15 minutes, stirring it every few minutes. You want to bottom to be browning and crisping a little when you stir it through.
5. Add in the cooked egg, leave on the heat for another 5 minutes, still stirring regularly.
This will make about 6 meals for me, but obviously it depends on your portions. (if hubby’s home, if you’re stressed, if the kids have just got in from footy practice and are starving, if the kids eat like sparrows to save room for their ice-cream… all that good stuff).
If you prefer coconut aminos or tamari will work in place of the soy sauce.